Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thank You, Bloomington Indiana

Thanks to generous reader Diane, I have a virtual tour of the American Quilt Study Groups 2014 Civil War Study Quilt Exhibit.

First, I big thank you to the organizations that are supporting this touring exhibit the next four years.  Their support enables this informative and beautiful exhibit to be seen around the country.

Main Street Bloomington Indiana

We enter beautiful downtown Bloomington, Indiana...driving down a wonderful American Main Street.

Diane tells me 40,000 college students fill the town during the school year.  The weekend of her visit was a basketball game so the town was filled with activity and excitement.

For those of you who may not know, America is a little crazy for basketball in March - March Madness.

Let's continue the tour...we need to find the exhibit host - Monroe County History Center.





Monroe County History Center

Here it is...
What a beautiful building.

Diane tells me the building used to be the Carnegie Library - just about every county seat in Indiana had a Carnegie Library.  Most have been converted into history museums.  You can read more about it HERE.




The exhibit is in the Rechter Gallery, where rotating displays are FREE to the public.
American Quilt Study Group Presents: Quilt Study of Civil War Era Quiltcan Quilt Study Group Presents: Quilt Study of Civil War Era Quilts
The purpose of the Quilt Study is for members to replicate, either exactly, or as an interpretation, a quilt of a particular style or period. In this way, members can learn from the textile the history, techniques, and perhaps something of the person who made the original. This year, the Quilt Study replicated 25 Civil War Era Quilts. Opens: February Closes: June 2015.


Exhibit Entrance and Sign


This is the entrance to the exhibit.
The sign explains the exhibit and the study AQSG Members undertook.








This is the gallery shot Diane sent.

The next best thing to being there!

It is impossible to get all 25 quilts in one photo.





Here is another angle.

The music stands hold the information card for each quilt not on a wall.

Besides each beautiful quilt, there is a wealth of information about quilts in the Civil War era on the important tags that travel with the quilts.

If you get a chance to see the quilts, I hope you go!  PLEASE tell the venue that you came to see the quilts.  We need to get the word out that  quilts related to antique quilts (as well as antique quilts) attract attendance!!







Diane also provided a shot of my little flag quilt.
You can read more about it HERE, and see my inspiration quilt.

My quilt is hand pieced and hand quilted, and includes the 19th C. setting and construction.


I hope you enjoyed the virtual tour.
I am so appreciative to Diane who made this post possible!
Have a great weekend,
Dawn

20 comments:

  1. When I enlarged the photos I did feel as if I was in the room. Thanks for sharing this with us, and I was thrilled to see your quilt on display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning quilts...thank you to Diane & dawn for sharing these photos. from Jenny in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Stars and Flags is wonderful. Such a great quilt! Thanks for a little glimpse of this exhibit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour. I love seeing different parts of America and a bonus is seeing quilts too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely old buildings and wonderful antique quilts. Your flag quilt looks great. I sure wish there was a study group in CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is Barb, I will PM you with details.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them Patty. As a no-reply blogger I couldn't reply. I was able to find your blog.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Diane and Dawn. Enjoyed the tour!
    Do you think you'll start missing your quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s so nice when others take the time to share photos of exhibits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how wonderful to see them in all their glory. I will try to remember to take a photo when I see them at the New England Quilt museum this summer. I love your flag quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tour. Your quilt is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you get a chance to see the exhibit in person somewhere. Your quilt looked lovely and the exhibit was very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the virtual tour as well! Your flag quilt looks lovely! It looks like such an interesting exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you shared this! Loved reading your post on your flag quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt looks good hanging in the exhibit! How many locations will the exhibit travel to?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to see this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you. How great do they all look? and so well displayer. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!